Cloud Infrastructure Adoption
Begacheese AWS Support
Abilities and experiences
- Responsible for delivery and ongoing management of high-quality digital product or service.
- Governing delivery and continuous improvement of a digital service, aligned to the Digital Service Standard
- Articulate “to be” services via roadmaps, backlogs and user stories.
- Report progress, budgets, risks and impediments. Propose mitigation solutions.
- Communicate with a wide range of disciplines both internally and externally
- Present findings, insights and recommendations to justify decisions
- Establish relationships to support delivery of services.
- Work in a multidisciplinary team in an agile delivery environment (highly desirable)
Bega Cheese Limited
June 2016 – ongoing
Services provided by 2pi Software
Strategy, research, design, project management, implementation, ongoing support and maintenance and training of Bega Cheese IT staff.
Bega Cheese started a series of strategic business acquisitions with the purchase of Vegemite and Kraft Peanut Butter from Mondelez Australia. It was identified that a move of all IT workloads to the Amazon Cloud would enable a faster turn-around of these complex business mergers. The move to the cloud of over 200 business services needed to be planned, designed, managed and implemented using an agile infrastructure-as-code approach. Further the Bega Cheese IT Team needed to be trained in the new Cloud Computing paradigm and their work practices adapted.
We followed the Amazon Cloud Adoption Framework to define the strategy along the following perspective: Business, People, Governance, Platform, Security and Operation. We worked with a diverse group of IT personnel, financial officers and leaders of various business units to outline a strategy for delivery and to report on achieved outcomes. Each project was conducted in an agile approach using Scrum. Infrastructure-as-code was used to deploy cloud systems with all code managed in Git version control systems. Each new system underwent rigorous penetration testing prior to go-live.
After deployment we continued to monitor services for continuous improvements along the lines of performance, availability, security and cost savings.
- A consistent Cloud adoption and system deployment through new policies and procedures
- A much faster turnaround of deploying new systems especially during times of company mergers, for instance when Bega Cheese acquired the Vegemite portfolio from Mondelez International
- Improved security of data by providing feedback on proposed integrations and designing secure and performant deployment architectures
- Improved availability of key business services across a geographically distributed workforce.
- Because of the definition of cloud adoption policies and practices, newly acquired businesses’ IT systems where much easier integrated into the overall Bega Cheese IT cloud environment.
- There is now significantly greater awareness of new development approaches such as Microservices Architectures, Serverless Computing and the use of Artificial Intelligence now as tools the business can plan to use in the future.